The Römisch-Germanische Kommission (RGK) / Romano-Germanic Commission was founded in 1902. It is directed by Kerstin P. Hofmann, who conduct and coordinate archaeological projects with the research staff. The RGK houses the largest library for pre- and protohistory in Europe and an extensive archive that is unaffected by wartime losses. The in-house editorial board publishes internationally renowned journals – Germania and Bericht der Römisch-Germanischen Kommission– as well as several series of monographs and collected papers, while a technical unit specialises in landscape archaeology and material analysis. The RGK advisory board (Kommission) consists of leading archaeologists from German and international institutions. In 2016 the RGK founded a research office (Forschungsstelle) in Budapest, Hungary, to serve as a bridgehead for projects in south-eastern Europe. A friends association, „Freunde der Archäologie in Europa e. V.“, supports the RGK in its research and public outreach.